Wealth in Taiwan: HNW Investors 2017
"Wealth in Taiwan: HNW Investors 2017", explores the investment preferences and portfolio allocation of Taiwanese HNW investors. The report is based on our proprietary Global Wealth Managers Survey.
With a focus on its manufacturing and IT sectors, Taiwan is an emerging market known for its entrepreneurial spirit and geographical proximity to hubs such as Hong Kong. The majority of Taiwanese HNW investors are over the age of 50, which can be attributed to historical industrialization and the notable proportion of individuals who are family business owners or first-generation entrepreneurs. Equity and cash investments constitute the greatest proportions of Taiwanese HNW portfolios, similar to the regional average. Taiwanese wealth managers experience strong demand for financial services, with pension planning in particularly high demand.
Specifically the report -
- Profiles the average Taiwanese HNW investor in terms of their demographics.
- Analyzes which wealth management mandates are preferred among Taiwanese HNW investors and how demand will develop going forward.
- Examines the allocation of Taiwanese HNW investors portfolios into different asset classes and how this is expected to develop in the future.
- Analyzes product and service demand among Taiwanese HNW investors.
- 61% of Taiwanese HNW individuals have accumulated their wealth as a family business owner or first-generation entrepreneur, mainly through the manufacturing and IT sectors.
- Taiwanese HNWs have a strong affinity for advisory mandates. Portfolios are often overseen by multiple wealth managers, with a balance between guidance and control the main driver.
- Asset allocation is heavily weighted towards equities and cash, but wealth managers anticipate strong growth for bond and cash investments.
- HNW investors are in hot pursuit of financial and pension planning services, but wealth managers expect tax and inheritance planning services to experience notable increases in demand.
Reasons to buy
- Develop and enhance your client targeting strategies using our data on HNW profiles and sources of wealth.
- Give your marketing strategies the edge required and capture new clients using insights from our data on HNW investors drivers for seeking investment advice vs self-directing.
- Tailor your investment product portfolio to match current and future demand for different asset classes among HNW individuals.
- Develop your service proposition to match the product and service demand expressed by Taiwanese HNW investors and react proactively to forecasted changes in demand.
1. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY 3
1.1. Understanding the needs of first-gen entrepreneurs is paramount 3
1.2. Key findings 3
1.3. Critical success factors 3
2. PROFILING THE TAIWANESE HNW INVESTOR 8
2.1. The largest proportion of Taiwanese HNW wealth can be attributed to business ownership 8
2.1.1. The majority of Taiwanese HNW individuals are males over the age of 50 8
2.1.2. A third of Taiwanese HNW clients are first-generation entrepreneurs 9
2.1.3. Taiwanese HNW wealth is sourced from manufacturing and IT services 10
2.1.4. BNP Paribas specifically caters to business owners 12
2.1.5. Taiwanese HNW investors are most likely to hold chairman and director roles 12
2.2. Expats in Taiwan are not a significant opportunity for wealth managers 13
2.2.1. The proportion of expats in Taiwan is less prominent than across Asia Pacific 13
2.2.2. HNW expats can obtain residency through an entrepreneur visa 14
2.2.3. The US and Asia Pacific are the leading feeder markets for HNW expats in Taiwan 15
3. TAIWANESE HNW INVESTMENT STYLE PREFERENCES 17
3.1. Taiwanese HNW investors prefer their wealth to be professionally managed 17
3.1.1. Advisory mandates are favored among Taiwanese HNW investors 17
3.1.2. Taiwanese HNW investors seek professional management for better returns 18
3.1.3. Taiwanese HNW investors rely on more wealth management firms than the regional average 19
3.2. HNW individuals in Taiwan prefer professional wealth management 20
3.2.1. Greater demand for traditional mandates is widely forecast 21
3.2.2. HNW investors favor advisory mandates for the ability to balance guidance and control 22
3.2.3. HNW individuals prefer to have exclusive control 24
4. UNDERSTANDING ASSET ALLOCATION TRENDS AMONG TAIWANESE HNW INVESTORS 25
4.1. Asset allocation is weighted towards equities and cash 25
4.1.1. In the typical Taiwanese HNW portfolio, assets are spread across all classes 25
4.1.2. Equity investments constitute the second-largest proportion of Taiwanese HNW portfolios 26
4.1.3. Bond investments are forecast to increase in demand 28
4.1.4. HNW individuals hold the greatest proportion of wealth in cash investments 30
4.1.5. HNW client portfolios in Taiwan are currently underweight in property investments 32
4.1.6. Alternatives constitute a minimal proportion of the typical Taiwanese HNW portfolio 34
4.1.7. Taiwanese HNW individuals mostly shun commodity investments 36
5. TAIWANESE HNW PRODUCT AND SERVICE DEMAND 39
5.1. Planning services are in high demand in Taiwan 39
5.1.1. Inheritance planning presents an opportunity for wealth managers to resonate with older HNW investors and business owners 39
6. APPENDIX 43
6.1. Abbreviations and acronyms 43
6.2. Definitions 43
6.2.1. HNW 43
6.2.2. Liquid assets 43
6.3. Methodology 43
6.3.1. GlobalDatas 2016 Global Wealth Managers Survey 43
6.3.2. GlobalDatas WealthInsight 44
6.3.3. Exchange rates 44
6.4. Bibliography 44
6.5. Further reading 46
List Of Figures
Figure 1: Just 10% of HNW investors in Taiwan are aged 50 or younger 9
Figure 2: 61% of Taiwanese HNW investors accumulate their wealth as a family business owner or first-generation entrepreneur 10
Figure 3: Nearly half of Taiwanese HNW investors have generated their wealth from the manufacturing industry 11
Figure 4: Entrepreneurs are an important target market for BNP Paribas 12
Figure 5: Taiwanese HNW investors are most likely to hold chairman and director roles 13
Figure 6: Expats constitute a minor proportion of the Taiwan HNW population when compared to Asia Pacific 14
Figure 7: The majority of HNW expats in Taiwan are from the US and Hong Kong 16
Figure 8: Taiwanese HNW individuals have a propensity for advisory mandates 18
Figure 9: Better returns and access to more sophisticated investments motivate Taiwanese HNW investors to seek a professional 19
Figure 10: Taiwanese HNW clients place over half of their portfolio with their main wealth manager 20
Figure 11: Demand is strongest for advisory asset management 21
Figure 12: Demand for advisory and automated services will rise notably over the next two years 22
Figure 13: Taiwanese HNW investors value advisory asset management for its collaborative features 23
Figure 14: Wealth managers believe HNW investors who choose execution-only management lack trust in professionals 24
Figure 15: Taiwanese HNW investments are well diversified, with cash leading the way 26
Figure 16: Taiwanese HNW investors hold a below-average proportion of wealth in equity investments 27
Figure 17: HNW individuals value equity investments for their capital appreciation opportunities 28
Figure 18: Over half of Taiwanese bond investments are kept in corporate investment-grade bonds 29
Figure 19: Equity investments are driven by the predictability of returns 30
Figure 20: Taiwanese HNW investors favor local and foreign currency deposits 31
Figure 21: Cash will remain a major component of Taiwans HNW investor portfolio 32
Figure 22: Funds are the preferred property investment of Taiwanese HNW individuals 33
Figure 23: Property prices are driven by price appreciation and inflation protection 34
Figure 24: Compared to the wider region, HNW investors in Taiwan hold a smaller proportion of wealth in alternatives 35
Figure 25: Wealth managers in Taiwan are downbeat about the prospects of alternative investments compared to the wider region 36
Figure 26: HNW commodity holdings are even lower in Taiwan than in the wider region 37
Figure 27: Wealth managers in Taiwan are more hopeful about commodity demand than across Asia Pacific 38
Figure 28: Wealth managers experience very strong demand for financial and pension planning services 40
Figure 29: Around half of wealth managers expect demand for all financial services to increase in the next two years 41
Figure 30: UBS launches toolkit to help UHNW individuals set up a family office 42
Taiwan Wealth Management: Market Sizing and Opportunities to 2022Taiwans affluent population (comprising high-net-worth [HNW] and mass affluent individuals) accounted for just over a quarter of the countrys total adult populationView Report
Switzerland Wealth Management: Market Sizing and Opportunities to 2022Switzerland stands out for its high proportion of high net worth (HNW) and mass affluent individuals, making it an attractive market forView Report
Global businesses are operating in a world of economic uncertainty and rising inequality impeding the expansion of middle classes. These issues enhance the importance of high net worth and affluentView Report
Fill The Form For Sample Request