Telcos’ Approaches to IoT Monetization: Ecosystems and Business Models to Go Beyond Connectivity
"Telcos Approaches to IoT Monetization: Ecosystems and Business Models to Go Beyond Connectivity", a thematic research report by GlobalData, thoroughly examines the IoT landscape, telcos IoT value chain and IoT business models that the telcos are applying to profit from the IoT opportunity. The IoT value chain consists of five key layers: connectivity; security and M2M network management; platform; IoT applications and operations. Telcos traditionally have a strong presence in the connectivity layer though the strength of their offerings declines when moving up the IoT value chain. This shift in positioning on the IoT value chain is happening as telcos are answering three major market dynamics driving the adoption of IoT: optimizing the utilization of physical and financial assets, transformation of customer engagement and differentiation of product and services.
Telcos have already perceived the need to expand their portfolio beyond connectivity to monetize the growing IoT market opportunity. To develop an IoT-focused portfolio telcos are engaging in partnerships, joint ventures, mergers and acquisitions of different stakeholders that are part of the IoT ecosystem, including network vendors, technology providers, application developers and start-ups.
The report is structured as follows -
- Section 1: Taxonomy and Market Context; a look at the M2M and IoT definition and also on the Telcos IoT value chain. This section details the position of select telcos within the IoT value chain and showcases examples of telcos emerging into the IoT platform space.
- Section 2: Telcos Approaches within the IoT Ecosystem; an analysis of ten case studies of telcos moving up the IoT value chain. This section analyzes the ecosystem dynamics of each case and provides an insight on the business model adopted by telcos to monetize from the IoT implementation.
- Section 3: Findings and recommendations; we conclude the report with a set of key findings and critical considerations and recommendations for telcos and vendors pursuing the IoT opportunity.
- With the development of new applications and solutions and the focus of stakeholders to position the connectivity component as an embedded and invisible component within IoT solutions, connectivity revenue share of total IoT market is relatively small and is expected to decline.
- IoT ecosystems can also be quite complex and often telcos do not have all the in-house technical capabilities required to provide end-to-end IoT solutions and services to their clients.
- Many telcos are focusing on leveraging their capabilities to develop cross-vertical solutions that can be applied across different IoT projects.
Reasons to buy
- This Thematic Report provides a comprehensive examination of telcos IoT business models to help executives fully understand market dynamics, determine what works and what doesnt, formulate effective product development plans and optimize resource allocation and return on investments.
- Ten case studies illustrate the findings of the report, providing insight into particular situations regarding IoT implementations and the participation of telcos in these projects; this will help the reader understand both the challenges confronted in the real world and the strategies employed to succeed.
- The report discusses concrete opportunities in the IoT market, providing a number of actionable recommendations for telcos and vendors.
- With more than 30 charts and tables, the report is designed for an executive-level audience, to help to understand the different approaches that telcos are adopting to foster their presence within the IoT value chain and ecosystem.
List of exhibits 5
Executive summary 7
Section 1: Taxonomy and Market Context 8
Defining IoT and M2M 9
IoT market context 10
Telcos IoT value chain 11
Telcos IoT platforms and launches 13
Section 2: Telcos Approaches within the IoT Ecosystem 14
TIM Brazil and the Fire Department of Rio de Janeiro 15
Zain Kuwait and the Ministry of Water and Electricity 17
MTS Russia and InTouch 19
KPN Netherlands and van Happen 21
Tata Communications and Jamshedpur City 23
Verizon US and Columbus Yellow Cab 25
Deutsche Telekom and residential customers 27
Orange France and Montgenvre Ski Resort 29
Softbank Japan and Teshima Island 31
AT&T USA and Miami-Date County 33
Section 3 : Findings and recommendations 35
Key findings: Telcos approaches to capitalize from IoT market 36
Key findings: Opportunities for telcos and vendors 37
Acronyms and definitions 39
About the authors 41
Related research 43
Contact information 44
List Of FiguresList of Figures
Exhibit 1: IoT and M2M Overview 9
Exhibit 2: Key IoT Market Drivers 10
Exhibit 3: Telcos Portfolio and Expertise against the IoT Value Chains 11
Exhibit 4: Telcos IoT Value Chain and IoT Portfolio of select Telcos within the Value Chain 12
Exhibit 5: Telcos IoT Platform Launches, Global 13
Exhibit 6: IoT Case Study Snapshot, TIM, Brazil 15
Exhibit 7: IoT Ecosystem Stakeholders, TIM, Brazil 16
Exhibit 8: IoT Case Study Snapshot, Zain, Kuwait 17
Exhibit 9: IoT Ecosystem Stakeholders, Zain, Kuwait 18
Exhibit 10: IoT Case Study Snapshot, MTS, Russia 19
Exhibit 11: IoT Ecosystem Stakeholder, MTS, Russia 20
Exhibit 12: IoT Case Study Snapshot, KPN, Netherlands 21
Exhibit 13: IoT Ecosystem Stakeholder, KPN, Netherlands 22
Exhibit 14: IoT Case Study Snapshot, TATA Communications, India 23
Exhibit 15: IoT Ecosystem Stakeholder, TATA Communications, India 24
Exhibit 16: IoT Case Study Snapshot, Verizon, US 25
Exhibit 17: IoT Ecosystem Stakeholder, Verizon, US 26
Exhibit 18: IoT Case Study Snapshot, Deutsche Telekom, Germany 27
Exhibit 19: IoT Ecosystem Stakeholder, Deutsche Telekom, Germany 28
Exhibit 20: IoT Case Study Snapshot, Orange, France 29
Exhibit 21: IoT Ecosystem Stakeholder, Orange, France 30
Exhibit 22: IoT Case Study Snapshot, Softbank, Japan 31
Exhibit 23: IoT Ecosystem Stakeholder, Softbank, Japan 32
Exhibit 24: IoT Case Study Snapshot, AT&T, US 33
Exhibit 25: IoT Ecosystem Stakeholder, AT&T, US 34
Ecommerce Landscape in Africa and the Middle East: Drivers, Market Players, and Telcos Role Ecommerce Landscape in Africa and the Middle East: Drivers, Market Players, and Telcos Role , is a newView Report
Ecommerce Landscape in Asia-Pacific: Drivers, Market Players, and Telcos Role Ecommerce Landscape in Asia-Pacific: Drivers, Market Players, and Telcos Role , a new Telecom Insider Report by provides an executive-level overviewView Report
The Operator approaches to the SME market: case studies and analysis market research report available in single user pdf license with Aarkstore Enterprise at USD 4999View Report
Operator approaches to unified communications: ten case studies market research report available in single user pdf license with Aarkstore Enterprise at USD 4999View Report
Fill The Form For Sample Request