IoT Monetization: Review of IoT Technology and Enabling Platforms
"IoT Monetization: Review of IoT Technology and Enabling Platforms", a thematic research report by GlobalData, thoroughly examines the IoT landscape, telcos IoT value chain and various IoT platforms. The market for IoT platforms is quite complex due to the various piece parts required to come together to create, enable, deploy, and manage an IoT application. Global telecom operators have been investing in IoT services and solutions for business customers for years, initially as relatively unsophisticated M2M offerings focused primarily on connectivity. More recently, operators have focused on seizing more of the value chain by offering more comprehensive platforms and services to support their enterprise customers. This report outlines emerging IoT value chain models for telcos, their current IoT value chain and portfolio within the value chain. It discusses the developments and deployment of IoT solutions of leading network operators including AT&T, Deutsche Telekom, Orange Business Services, Telefonica, Verizon and Vodafone that are at the forefront in establishing differentiated market strategies in the IoT market. The report wraps up with an analysis of key opportunities and recommendations for telcos as well as for enterprises to pursue IoT opportunities.
The market for IoT platforms is inherently confusing due to the various piece parts required to come together to create, enable, deploy, and manage an IoT application. As a result, there are hundreds of companies claiming some kind of IoT platform. More recently, operators have focused on seizing more of the value chain by offering more comprehensive platforms and services to support their enterprise customers. With the maturity and increasingly widespread deployment of NB-IoT and LTE-M (a.k.a. Cat-M1), operators have the ability to offer compelling new deployment options for customers.
The report is structured as follows -
- Section 1: Taxonomy and Market Context. This section discusses brief overview of IoT and M2M market, key IoT market drivers for stakeholders to invest in the IoT market and telcos IoT value chain models. It also reviews the potential challenges for the telcos operating in the IoT market, their current developments in the IoT industry and the opportunities ahead to climb up the IoT value chain.
- Section 2: Deciphering the IoT Platform. This section discusses and examines about the different IoT platforms like device management, connectivity management and application enablement in the IoT space.
- Section 3: Operator Service Profiles. This section examines the developments, service and platform offerings as well as strengths and limitations of six telcos investing in the IoT space.
- Section 4: Findings and recommendations. We conclude the report with a set of key findings and critical considerations and recommendations for telcos and enterpises pursuing the IoT opportunity.
Some of the findings of the report include -
- Security remains a primary gating factor for enterprises regardless of vertical.
- Network operators lack the resources to pursue IoT opportunities in all verticals.
- While many operators provide references, case studies, and connection numbers, it is difficult to ascertain which ones are seeing the most traction.
Reasons to buy
- This report provides an examination of IoT market and telcos IoT value chain and platforms as well as industrial IoT opportunities to help enterprises better understand the development of the IoT market ecosystem and telco IoT service delivery, formulate effective product development plans and IoT network solutions and return on investments.
- The report highlights different IoT platform, progressive approaches and service offerings offered by service providers to deliver IoT network solutions and create new revenue streams.
- The report discusses concrete opportunities in the IoT ecosystem, providing a number of actionable recommendations for telcos and enterprises.
List of Exhibits 5
Executive Summary 6
Section 1: Taxonomy and Market Context 7
Defining IoT and M2M 8
IoT Market Context 9
Telcos IoT Value Chain 10
Telcos IoT Platforms and Launches 12
Section 2: Deciphering the IoT Platform 13
Device Management 15
Connectivity Management 16
Application Enablement 17
Section 3: Operator Industrial IoT Services 18
Operators Embracing Industrial IoT Opportunities 19
Deutsche Telekom/T-Mobile 21
Orange Business Services 22
Section 4: Findings and Recommendations 26
Key Findings 27
Recommendations for Operators 28
Recommendations for Enterprises 29
List Of FiguresList of Figures
Exhibit 1: IoT and M2M Overview 7
Exhibit 2: Key IoT Market Drivers 8
Exhibit 3: Telcos Portfolio and Expertise Against the IoT Value Chains 9
Exhibit 4: Telcos IoT Value Chain and IoT Portfolio of Select Telcos Within the Value Chain 10
Exhibit 5: Telco IoT Platform Launches, Global 11
Exhibit 6: Select IoT Platforms 13
Exhibit 7: deviceWISE IoT Platform 14
Exhibit 8: EMnify IoT Platform 15
Exhibit 9: Aeris Communications IoT Platform 16
Exhibit 10: Select Industrial IoT (IIoT) Platforms 18
Telco B2B and Consumer IoT Strategies and Case Studies - 2020Telco B2B and Consumer IoT Strategies and Case Studies - 2020, a new Global Outlook Report provides an executive-level overviewView Report
Mobile network operators face further disruption in the IoT market as alternative IoT connectivity providers increasingly differentiate on IoT capabilities, vertical expertise and/or MVNE/enabler propositions. This report analyses the strategiesView Report
IoT Monetization: Review of IoT Technology and Enabling Platforms - 2019The market for IoT platforms is inherently confusing due to the various pieces required to come together to create, enable,View Report
Telcos Approaches to IoT Monetization: Ecosystems and Business Models to Go Beyond Connectivity Telcos Approaches to IoT Monetization: Ecosystems and Business Models to Go Beyond Connectivity , a thematic research report byView Report
Fill The Form For Sample Request