Driverless Vehicles - Transportation industries of all types soon to acquire driverless technology
There are many technologies and ideas throughout the world which are exciting in their potential but whose effects are mainly pipedreams that we never get to see in the flesh or will not quite realize their full potential. However, in the world of tech there is currently a wave of industries that have a real chance to change our world forever and they are likely to be realized within the next decade. These industries are inextricably linked and serve to augment the capabilities of each other, meaning that the rate of change is likely to snowball. From artificial intelligence, through to the space industry the rate of technological advancements in the last few years has been dramatic and this report examines and speculates on what is coming in the next decade for driverless vehicle technology and what the effects might be.
Key Questions Answered
- How might driverless technology be implemented?
- Who is investing in the technology?
- How far away are we from workable solutions?
- Discovers just how driverless vehicle tech is developing and what types of transport are effected.
- Examines how far down the road we are with driverless ships, cars and planes.
- Looks at how beneficial this might be for the future and whether there are any problems with implementing driverless technology
Reasons to buy
- Driverless technology is most frequently linked with cars, most notably the development of Google cars. Yet the industrial application of innovative technology has much more immediate Scope to change the speed at which certain industries are capable of operating.
- Historically critics have accused the shipping industry of being conservative and unwilling to embrace reform, but the specter of ocean going vessels traversing the worlds seas without a crew is believed to be technologically possible. Companies such as Rolls-Royce promote the commercial possibilities, stating they will be realized by 2035.
- Serious investment is being ploughed into the industry to develop technology to a degree in which a fully autonomous ship is capable of navigating the busiest shipping lanes in the world the English Channel, for example. Many sensory technologies are already present in other industries radars, high definition cameras, thermal imaging and versions of LiDAR.
Executive summary 2
Driverless vehicle technology will change global transport forever 2
Driverless vehicle technology will change global transport forever 6
Long considered to be averse to change, shipping is about to transform 6
Technology is advancing towards full autonomy for large vessels but work still needs to be done 7
Developing the regulation for autonomous shipping will take time and likely fail to keep pace with technological development 7
Driverless cars face a steep development curve to become mainstream 8
Mapping and regulating problems hold back progress on autonomous cars 9
Technology needs to be refined for everyday purposes before driverless cars can become mainstream 9
Autonomous trucks are changing how mining is done today; transport must wait for development 10
Autonomous trucks for the road are being frustrated by lack of enthusiasm from multiple parties 11
Application for autonomy extends beyond freight into everyday menial jobs 11
Major aircraft manufacturers are moving ahead with autonomous planes 12
Boeing to test pilotless aircraft in 2018 as technology nears required level of sophistication 12
Airbus self-flying taxi is the transformative application of autonomous technology in personal transport 12
Further Reading 15
Ask the analyst 16
About MarketLine 16
List Of Figures
Figure 1: Global marine freight industry value ($bn) 6
Figure 2: YARA Birkeland, autonomous ship 7
Figure 3: Artists impression of autonomous Rolls-Royce ship 8
Figure 4: Baidu Driverless Vehicle Testing 9
Figure 5: Rio Tinto net income ($m) 10
Figure 6: Volvo semi-autonomous truck testing 11
Figure 7: Airbus air taxi 13
Driverless Vehicles - Transportation industries of all types soon to acquire driverless technologyThere are many technologies and ideas throughout the world which are exciting in their potential but whose effectsView Report
Automotive Electrified Vehicles - Global Sector Overview and Forecast (Q3 2021 Update)Vehicle Electrification has developed so rapidly in the past 15 years or so that it is useful to considerView Report
Automotive Autonomous Vehicles - Global Sector Overview and Forecast (Q3 2021 Update)As cars become ever more sophisticated in terms of technology and performance, a new market segment is emerging -View Report
Fill The Form For Sample Request