PlayStation vs Xbox - Next Generation of Console Wars will be like no other
After seven long years, gaming behemoths Sony and Microsoft have released their highly anticipated next generation of consoles, the PlayStation 5 and the Xbox Series X/S. While the release of these consoles has undoubtedly reignited the fierce competition between the two companies, the release is set to encounter new challenges and opportunities in the face of the COVID-19 pandemic and the success of the consoles will be defined by business models to court customers and generate revenue.
- In the previous generation of console wars, PlayStation emerged as a clear winner, as a result Xbox will surely be eager to solidify itself as a formidable challenger upon the latest generation of consoles releases. The PS4 received critical acclaim and demonstrated once again Sonys effective strategy of releasing exclusive titles, which was crucial in winning over consumers. While the Xbox 360 was a resounding success, challenging the decade long dominance of Sony, the Xbox One didnt have the same impact and as a result Microsoft is keen on redeeming itself after a resounding defeat.
- With little to separate the new consoles specification wise, the success of the PS5 and Xbox Series X will be determined by Sony and Microsofts differing strategies. As expected, PlayStation has opted for its traditional approach of releasing exclusive content, which has proven highly successful in the past. Xbox on the other hand has skewed its focus toward offering a service in addition to the console itself. Ultimately, PlayStations tried and true strategy of enticing in gamers with blockbuster titles will likely prove effective once again. However, both consoles will achieve commercial success, boosted by a thriving console market and by the favorable conditions created by the COVID-19 pandemic.
- The COVID-19 pandemic has had a profound impact on virtually every market/industry around the globe and the games consoles market is no exception. At the peak of the virus, global lockdowns and stay at home policies induced a surge in console sales, in addition to bolstering digital software sales for major game publishers. The trend of increased demand could continue following the release of next generation consoles, although global economic difficulties could inhibit spending amongst price conscious consumers. Ultimately, the pandemic will make the latest release of next generation consoles the most unpredictable yet.
- Learn how the coming console battle is unfolding
- See how the players have differentiated their offerings
- See which is poised to take the lead
- Understand how this next generation is likely to progress
Reasons to Buy
- What is Sonys strategy?
- What is Microsofts strategy?
- Who is likely to come out on top?
- How has COVID effected sales?
2. SONY OUTPERFORMED MICROSOFT IN THE EIGHTH GENERATION OF VIDEO GAME CONSOLES
2.1. The PlayStation 4 has been a major success for Sony
2.2. The Xbox Ones performance has been underwhelming, especially when compared to its predecessor
2.3. Nintendo also struggled against PlayStation
3. DIFFERING STRATEGIES WILL DETERMINE THE SUCCESS OF THE NEW CONSOLES
3.1. Consoles are almost on par specification wise
3.2. Sony is banking on its traditional strategy of exclusivity
3.2.1. Xbox exclusives remain elusive for the time being
3.3. PlayStations DualSense could be a game changer
3.4. Microsoft has opted for a service base approach
3.4.1. Competitor Google increases its cloud gaming market share during lockdown
3.5. PlayStation will likely come out on top
4. COVID-19 HAS HAD A PROFOUND IMPACT ON CONSOLES MARKET
4.1. Console sales surged in the first half of 2020
4.1.1. Video games have also seen increased demand
4.2. Global economic difficulties could inhibit spending amongst some consumers
4.3. Global pandemic could bolster sales of digital consoles
5.1. Abbreviations and acronyms
5.3. Further reading
6. ASK THE ANALYST
7. ABOUT MARKETLINE
List Of Figures
Figure 1: Global games consoles market volume: million units, 2015-19
Figure 2: Bestselling consoles of all time (millions of units sold)
Figure 3: The PS5 and Xbox Series X have been highly anticipated
Figure 4: PlayStation has benefited from its critically acclaimed exclusives
Figure 5: The DualSense controller has received positive reviews
Figure 6: Global games consoles market value forecast: $ million, 2019-24
Figure 7: Global games consoles market geography segmentation: % share, by value, 2019
PlayStation vs Xbox - Next Generation of Console Wars will be like no otherAfter seven long years, gaming behemoths Sony and Microsoft have released their highly anticipated next generation ofView Report
Fill The Form For Sample Request