Payments Landscape in Portugal: Opportunities and Risks to 2021
GlobalDatas "Payments Landscape in Portugal: Opportunities and Risks to 2021", report provides detailed analysis of market trends in Portuguese cards and payments industry. It provides values and volumes for a number of key performance indicators in the industry, including cash, credit transfers, direct debit, payment cards, and cheques during the review-period (2013-17e).
The report also analyzes various payment card markets operating in the industry, and provides detailed information on the number of cards in circulation, transaction values and volumes during the review-period and over the forecast-period (2017-21f). It also offers information on the countrys competitive landscape, including the market shares of issuers and schemes.
The report brings together GlobalDatas research, modeling, and analysis expertise to allow banks and card issuers to identify segment dynamics and competitive advantages. The report also covers details of regulatory policy and recent changes in the regulatory structure.
This report provides top-level market analysis, information and insights into the Portuguese cards and payments industry, including -
- Current and forecast values for each market in the Portuguese cards and payments industry, including debit and pay-later cards.
- Detailed insights into payment instruments including cash, credit transfers, direct debit, cheques, and payment cards. It also, includes an overview of the countrys key alternative payment instruments.
- E-commerce market analysis.
- Analysis of various market drivers and regulations governing Portuguese cards and payments industry.
- Detailed analysis of strategies adopted by banks and other institutions to market debit and pay-later cards.
- To promote electronic payments and reduce dependence on cash, in August 2017 the Portuguese government restricted the amount of cash per transaction to 3,000 ($3,599.60) for residents, while for non-residents the limit is 10,000 ($11,998.60). The government has also mandated personal income tax payments over 1,000 ($1,199.90) to be made via bank transfer, cheque, or direct debit. Failure to do so incurs a fine of between 180-4,500 ($216-5,399) per transaction.
- The government is fostering the growth of digital channels within the banking industry. In July 2017, the central bank issued regulations enabling institutions with headquarters or branches in Portugal to allow customers to open accounts exclusively through digital channels, in a move to remain in line with European peers. Previously, bank accounts could only be opened at bank branches in the physical presence of the applicant. Consequently several banks such as Novo Banco, Millennium bcp, and Santander now allow consumers to open bank accounts through digital channels.
- Rising unemployment has forced consumers to default on payments, resulting in high debt during the review period. Amid increasing debt and decreasing profitability, banks were forced to shut down their operations, which eventually triggered mergers and acquisitions in the banking sector. Banco do Brasil shut down its retail business in Portugal in September 2017, and transferred its existing accounts to Banco CTT. Previously, in November 2016 Barclays sold Portugals Barclaycard consumer payments business to WiZink Bank. Likewise, Banco Santander Totta acquired Banco Banif in December 2015.
Reasons to buy
- Make strategic business decisions, using top-level historic and forecast market data, related to the Portuguese cards and payments industry and each market within it.
- Understand the key market trends and growth opportunities in the Portuguese cards and payments industry.
- Assess the competitive dynamics in the Portuguese cards and payments industry.
- Gain insights into marketing strategies used for various card types in Portugal.
- Gain insights into key regulations governing the Portuguese cards and payments industry.
Payments Infrastructure & Regulation
Thailand Cards and Payments - Opportunities and Risks to 2024Its Thailand Cards and Payments - Opportunities and Risks to 2024 report provides detailed analysis of market trends in Thailands cardsView Report
Payments Snapshot in Taiwan - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Sector ImpactThe Coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) outbreak, dubbed COVID-19, is first and foremost a human tragedy, affecting millions of people globally. The contagious Coronavirus, whichView Report
COVID-19 Outbreak-Global Tower Internals Industry Market Report-Development Trends, Threats, Opportunities and Competitive Landscape in 2020
The Tower Internals market revenue was xx.xx Million USD in 2019, and will reach xx.xx Million USD in 2025, with a CAGR of x.x% during 2020-2025.Under COVID-19 outbreak globally, thisView Report
COVID-19 Outbreak-Global Body Lotion Industry Market Report-Development Trends, Threats, Opportunities and Competitive Landscape in 2020
The Body Lotion market revenue was xx.xx Million USD in 2019, and will reach xx.xx Million USD in 2025, with a CAGR of x.x% during 2020-2025.Under COVID-19 outbreak globally, thisView Report
Fill The Form For Sample Request