Wealth in Hong Kong: Sizing the Market Opportunity 2017
Almost 60% of the Hong Kong adult population is considered affluent, comparable to markets in the developed West like Switzerland, while wealth growth rates still resemble those found in emerging markets. Growth going forward will be moderated by weaker economic performance in China, but with the wealthiest individuals (those holding more than $10m in liquid assets) wealth forecast to achieve a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 10.24% over the years to 2020, Hong Kong retains much of its allure as a source of new clients for wealth managers.
- Affluent individuals constituted almost 60% of the total adult population in Hong Kong at the end of 2016, making it a very attractive market for wealth managers. HNW individuals accounted for 1.72% of the population.
- Retail savings and investments are dominated by deposits, and this trend is not expected to change.
- Despite the strong bias of Hong Kong investors towards deposits, a positive growth outlook is forecast for all asset classes over 2017-20.
- Investments in non-traditional asset classes are on the rise in the HNW segment, and they currently constitute 16% of the typical Hong Kong HNW investors portfolio, with real estate investment trusts (REITs) being the leading driver of this growth.
- 50% of Hong Kong HNW wealth is booked offshore, mostly in the US. Better investment options and returns are the main drivers for investing offshore.
GlobalDatas Wealth in Hong Kong: Sizing the Market Opportunity 2017 analyzes the Hong Kong wealth and retail savings and investments markets, with a focus on the HNW segment. The report is based on our proprietary datasets.
Specifically the report:
- Sizes the affluent market (both by number of individuals and the value of their liquid assets) using our proprietary datasets.
- Analyzes which asset classes are favored by Hong Kongs investors and how their preferences impact the growth of the total savings and investments market.
- Examines HNW clients attitudes towards non-liquid investments, such as property and commodities.
- Identifies key drivers and booking centers for offshore investments.
- Examines the tax landscape in Hong Kong and future implications for investors.
- Benchmark your share of the Hong Kong wealth market against the current market size.
- Forecast your future growth prospects using our projections for the market to 2020.
- Identify your most promising client segment by analyzing penetration of affluent individuals in Hong Kong.
- Evaluate your HNW proposition by understanding how Hong Kongs tax system impacts HNW clients.
- Review your offshore strategy by identifying HNW motivations for offshore investments and their preferred booking centers.
The Hong Kong wealth market remains highly appealing
Critical success factors
SIZING AND FORECASTING THE HONG KONG WEALTH MARKET
Hong Kong remains a leading offshore center
After a step back in 2015, mutual fund holdings will experience growth from 2017 onwards
Retail and institutional investors share Hong Kong offshore deposits market holdings
The onshore wealth market will continue to grow at a reduced rate
In Hong Kong, HNW individuals represent 1.72% of the total adult population
Affluent individuals hold 93.18% of total liquid assets in Hong Kong
DRIVERS OF GROWTH IN THE HONG KONG WEALTH MARKET
Hong Kongs retail investment market will perform strongly over the forecast period
Retail savings and investments growth will continue to support wealth creation
Investors in Hong Kong are strongly biased towards deposits
Positive growth is forecast for all asset classes over 2016-20
Deposit growth will continue to outstrip GDP growth
2017 will see off challenges to Hong Kongs economy
Interest rates will rise, but gains will be low once inflation is factored in
Bond holding growth will match average wage growth through 2017-20
The Government Bond Programme will stimulate further bond growth
Equities and mutual funds are most allied to the performance of the Hong Kong stock market
Hong Kongs stock market has performed poorly in recent years, giving little capital appreciation to long-term investors
Despite disappointing stock market performance, equity and mutual fund holdings experienced strong growth
HNW INVESTMENT PREFERENCES
Investments in alternatives are on the rise
Price appreciation is the main driver for investments in property
REITs are leading the increase in alternative investments
Half of Hong Kong HNW assets are held offshore
Wealth managers should improve their international operations services
Access to better investment options and the expectation of better returns overseas are the biggest drivers of offshore investment
Tax efficiency is no longer a main driver for offshoring wealth
The largest share of Hong Kongs HNW offshore wealth is booked in the US
Abbreviations and acronyms
Exchange of information
2016 Global Wealth Managers Survey
GlobalDatas Global Wealth Model methodology
Global Retail Investments Analytics methodology
List Of TablesTable 1: Net chargeable income tax rates in Hong Kong, 2009-10 to 2016-17
Table 2: Standard tax rate scenarios, 2016-17
Table 3: AVD rates
Table 4: Stamp duty as per property lease
Table 5: Stamp duty on transfer of Hong Kong stock
Table 6: Total Hong Kong adult population by asset band (000s), 2011-15
Table 7: Total Hong Kong adult population by asset band (000s), 2016e-20f
Table 8: Total Hong Kong onshore liquid wealth segmented by asset band ($bn), 2011-15
Table 9: Total Hong Kong onshore liquid wealth segmented by asset band ($bn), 2016e-20f
Table 10: Hong Kong dollar-US dollar exchange rate, December 31,2015 and December 31, 2016
List Of FiguresFigure 1: Retail non-resident holdings amounted to $178bn at the end of 2015
Figure 2: Non-resident retail offshore deposits constitute an ever-growing element of the Hong Kong market
Figure 3: Almost 60% of Hong Kongs population can be considered affluent
Figure 4: HNW and mass affluent individuals hold 93.18% of total Hong Kong liquid assets
Figure 5: Hong Kongs retail savings and investments will grow at a stable rate
Figure 6: Deposits dominate the Hong Kong retail wealth market
Figure 7: Deposits will continue to drive growth up to 2020
Figure 8: Deposit holdings growth is forecast to significantly exceed GDP growth
Figure 9: Bond holdings are forecast to experience moderate but stable growth
Figure 10: The performance of the local stock market has been weak in recent years
Figure 11: Direct equity investment growth rates experienced a notable decrease in 2015 and are forecast to remain low
Figure 12: REITs dominate investments in property
Figure 13: HNW individuals in Hong Kong currently hold 50.4% of their assets offshore
Figure 14: Access to better investment options is the biggest motivation for offshore investment
Figure 15: The US, the UK, and China are the go-to markets for offshoring wealth
Figure 16: Hong Kong has signed a range of DTCs and TIEAs
Deutsche Bank Wealth Management: Competitor Profile market research report available in single user pdf license with Aarkstore Enterprise at USD 1295View Report
UK Wealth Management: HNW Investors 2019 market research report available in single user pdf license with Aarkstore Enterprise at USD 3450View Report
Retail Banking in Hong Kong: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Sector ImpactThe Coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) outbreak, dubbed COVID-19, is first and foremost a human tragedy, affecting millions of people globally. The contagious Coronavirus, whichView Report
Retail Savings & Investments in Hong Kong: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Sector ImpactThe Coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) outbreak, dubbed COVID-19, is first and foremost a human tragedy, affecting millions of people globally. The contagiousView Report
Fill The Form For Sample Request