Tourism Destination Market Insight - Japan (2021)
Analysis of destination markets, infrastructure, and attractions, as well as risks and opportunities in Japan. This report explores the types of travelers that visit the country as well as a SWOT analysis.
- Japans inbound tourism market has shown remarkable growth over the past decade, with the number of foreign visitors traveling to Japan in 2019 reaching a record high of 31.9 million (2.2% more than the previous year). In tandem, expenditure by international arrivals has experienced growth to reach $48.7 billion in 2019 (YoY: 8.7%).
- Due to the impact of COVID-19, international arrivals fell by 86.0% YoY from 2019 to 2020, to a low of 4.5 million. Similarly, inbound spending fell by 85.3% YoY. Domestic flows is the driving force behind tourism in Japan, with 288.7 million trips in 2019 and domestic expenditure reaching $220.2 billion in 2019. Domestic tourism was similarly ravaged by COVID-19 restrictions and domestic trips fell by 51.9% YoY to 138.8 million in 2020 and expenditure fell by 49.8% YoY to $110.6 billion. Given Japans strong tourism product offering, events on its agenda and investment in tourism, going forward, inbound travel is set to rebound according GlobalDatas projections, with 33.3 millions trips taken by 2025 (CAGR 2021-15: 18.3%).
- As restrictions are eased domestically, domestic tourism is also set to rebound according to GlobalData forecasts with 292 million domestic trips by 2025, exceeding pre-COVID-19 levels (CAGR 2021-25: 4.8%).
- This report is part of GlobalDatas Destination Market Insights Series. These reports provide an in-depth analysis of a tourist destination and its key source markets, as well as an assessment of the trends and issues in the covered destination market, in this case Japan.
Reasons to Buy
- Obtain a clear and detailed insight into new developments in a burgeoning tourist destination.
- Use data and analysis to explore future trends related to international arrivals, airlines, niche tourism, and hotel developments.
- Gain a strong understanding of the opportunities in the market, as well as the risks, to support better business decisions.
COVID 19 Impact
Types of Tourism
Projects & Developments
Infrastructure & Attractions
Regional Risk & SWOT Analysis
Lodging (Travel and Tourism) Sector Scorecard - Thematic ResearchThe lodging industry has become competitive and is expected to become more competitive in a post-COVID world with consolidation expected to occur.View Report
Tourism Destination Market Insight - Japan (2021)Analysis of destination markets, infrastructure, and attractions, as well as risks and opportunities in Japan. This report explores the types of travelers that visitView Report
Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) Tourism Destination Market Insight, 2021 Update - Analysis of Source Markets, Infrastructure and Attractions, and Risks and Opportunities
Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) Tourism Destination Market Insight, 2021 Update - Analysis of Source Markets, Infrastructure and Attractions, and Risks and OpportunitiesAnalysis of destination markets, infrastructure and attractions, as wellView Report
Fill The Form For Sample Request